Wednesday, May 19, 2010

future




At lunch today my group split into two when it came to whether gap year's are a good thing or not. Some of the girls thought that it was a waste of time, that the 3 month break between school and uni is enough. That you'd get lonely and loose touch with people. Myself and only two other girls thought the opposite. I speak for myself, but I think there is absouletly nothing wrong with taking a break from education. I'd rather not be that person that just jumps into a uni course, without knowing 100% that's what I want to do. I figure if I live a little, work and save up and travel somewhere. If I live and not have to worry about assessment due dates and stuff for however long it takes, I'll be in a far better environment to feel inspired and make decisions on what I love doing most. There's no right or wrong way of course. But I'm personally so excited to get out and see all the things I read about. This is a quote from one of my favourite books, Looking for Alaska; "I'm not going to be one of those people who sit around talking about what they're gonna do. I'm just going to do it. Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present." That sums up my view perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment