Thursday, March 17, 2011

book update

I am meant to be finishing off my english assignment on Othello so instead I thought I'd finally do my book catch up! Here are quick little reviews on the books I've read over the past few months..

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

I really enjoyed this novel as it encompased food (my latest passion.. not that I actually cook myself.. just enjoy watching and reading about others cooking), love (always need a bit of fictional heartache) and a beautiful setting. Mum had be urging me to read this book for years now but somehow I always put another book in front of it. Anyway I'm glad I finally gave him some attention as it was a beautiful escape for a few days which I'd recommend to anyone!

You Against Me by Jenny Downham

I loved her previous novel Before I Die so when I saw she had a new novel out I did an inside dance on the way to the counter. I don't know if it topped Before I Die but I still enjoyed it none the less. It has has enough interesting twists to keep you turning the pages although it did feel a bit "he likes her" "she doesn't like him" "they like eachother" "she hates him" "he hates her" "they like eachother"... ladela. Luckily I'm a sucker for a bad romance (unintentional lady gaga song reference) but if you are not a fan of kinda childish romance then pass this one up.

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

I was actually pleasantly surprised with this one! I have read a few books based around the fantasy element of angels which were all lovely but not particularly any different from your regular teen fantasy book BUT I feel this one actually gave justice to the genre! It felt like they'd legit done their research on the myths and legends behind angels and used those to provide a more realistic (as realistic as a book about angels can be) novel overall.

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Ignore the book title and the corny cover art, although yes this certainly does fit under the beach read category it is still a beautifully written and quite complex book! I really enjoyed learning about the characters in this book and thought the author gave great insight into the themes which where confronted. Perfect holiday read!

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

I read 2 of Lauren Kate's previous novels which I really enjoyed although this book was a bit of a let down. It was just frustrating and repetitive. The only redeeming factor was a clever twist at the end. Still- not worth it.

Chasers by James Phelan

Read this one if you're a fan of sci-fi end of world kinda books! Although it's a bit slow at the beginning it has such a great twist at the end it is completely worth it! Plus it's series! It has a great use of real knowledge and facts mixed with the fiction which creates an interesting book that isn't too easy to put down.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

News of the World quoted this book as "heartbreakingly good.. up there with Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones... Impossible to forget." I think that sums up this novel pretty well! They say it takes a mature writer to write about immaturity and I think this book definetly gives justice to that saying. I finished it off in under 48 hours which gives you an idea of how good I think it is!

A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

This book is set in the early 1900's which I found really interesting as I've never read a book set in that time era! It takes modern day issues but expressed in such a different time which gives a completely different slant on the same problems any teenage girl faces. It is so beautifully written and the imagery is right up there with Frankenstien which is a petty big statement considering the whole bloody book is written about imagery...

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

About a year ago I heard that Carrey Mulligan would be starring in this movie called Never Let Me Go so I wrote it up on a sticky note in my room to go rent out, simply because I am obsessed with Carrey Mulligan. A few months later I looked up that a: it hasn't been released yet, b: it had keira knightley in it too! and c: it's based on a book. A few days later I went and bought it because I hate seeing movies before reading the book versions of it first. I had no idea what to expect for this book but it's safe to say it exceeded my expectations considerably. It is the most complex and unique idea for a book I've read about since Hunger Games. I don't want to go into too much detail because it's the kind of book that is great to read about with no prior knowledge on the subject matter but basically.. just read it. BEFORE THE MOVIE.

The Girl who kicked the Hornett's Nest by Stieg Larsson 

The last novel in the Millennium Series it finishes it off with an equal amount of horror and suspense. No point reading this until you've read the first 3 so go read the first 3 then ask me for my opinion on this book.. it may take a while!




Wish this was my room ^



I need a bigger book case. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment